One of the most watched – and most wagered on – horse races is the Kentucky Derby, the first of the Triple Crown races. But beyond mint juleps and “My Old Kentucky Home,” how much do you know about the race?
Here’s five quick questions. Answers come after.
Have any horses finished the Kentucky Derby, known as “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports,” in less than two minutes?
What horse holds the record for the fastest finish at the Kentucky Derby?
The longest shot to ever win the Kentucky Derby was…
- 32 to 1
- 91 to 1
The most money paid for a horse at auction, a descendent of two Kentucky Derby winners, was …
- $2.5 million
- $16 million
The youngest and oldest jockeys to win the Kentucky Derby were …
- 15 and 54
- 18 and 34
- The answer is 1: Two horses have broken the two-minute mark, Secretariat and Monarchos, according to Guinness.
- The answer is 2: Secretariat
- The answer is 2: 91 to 1 (Donerail in 1913).
- The answer is 2: A colt that became known as The Green Monkey.
- The answer is 1: Lonnie Clayton in 1892 and Bill Shoemaker in 1986, according to the Kentucky Derby site.